Do you have a question?

trukgirl.jpgPost any and all of your D.O.T. compliance-related questions here. I will do my best to answer them.

Within reason, that is.

For example, if your question is, “what do I have to do to comply with all these rules?”, the answer is, buy my DVD.

Or, if your question is “What’s the girl in the truck have to do with compliance questions?”, the answer is: Did you really want another picture of me?


Eric Arnold is a Former Enforcement Agent with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and a leading expert on USDOT compliance for small businesses. Do you have a question for Eric Arnold? Post them here, or email him at

Arnold Safety simplifies D.O.T. Compliance for commercial vehicle operators. Get Eric Arnold’s USDOT Compliance Guide, DVD, & Regulations at ArnoldSafety.Com.

Learn more about Arnold Safety compliance consulting services at ArnoldSafety.Com.

61 thoughts on “Do you have a question?

  • February 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

    a friend own a small used truck dealership and often buys non cdl trucks from out of state. i sometimes fly to the truck and drive it back to his dealership for him. do i need a med card, log book etc to drive a cab and chassis non cdl frieghtliner from texas to a dealership in ohio if im just doing it as favor for a friend

  • February 28, 2012 at 10:42 am

    Are you working solely and strictly for the other company? Are you leased to the other company? If so, you can probably use their authorities and number (with their permission, of course).

  • February 28, 2012 at 10:46 am

    Dan: Yes, you need a medical card, and a log book, as well as a daily vehicle inspection report, fire extinguisher, triangles, etc. Also, your buddy needs a qualification file on you at his office. Basically, you have to be qualified just like a normal driver, even though you are not being compensated. The movement of the truck from Texas to Ohio is to help, or further his commercial enterprise, that being the truck dealership. It does not matter that you, the driver, are not being paid. So, you might as well get him to pay you. Or at least buy you some really good liquor.

  • June 7, 2012 at 8:42 am

    hi eric,

    i need to rent a ryder 24′ box truck to go from NH to Baton Rouge La, it is company owned gear not personal, do i need to keep a log book? it is just demo / exihbition materials. i dont have a CDL the truck is under 26000#.

  • September 18, 2013 at 12:11 am

    I. Have. A 16′ box. Truck. 14500 gvwr I use. The. Truck. Local maybe. Twice for. Month go. Ny. I need. Dot. Or. What bo need I don’t. Want. Any problems. Micuel

  • November 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm

    You probably need a DOT number. It sounds like you cross state lines, and the truck is heavy enough to be subject to the rules. It sounds like you are in commerce. Hope that helps.

  • May 10, 2019 at 9:52 am

    I am a driver that may only drive 6-7 days a month. I know the rule regarding logs. Question is, when i am not driving, just working my job at the warehouse, do i still have to complete a log page for my on duty time, or does time sheet suffice. We are getting conflicting answeres from CDL drivers. Some say yes and some say no, only when driving. Thank you

  • June 7, 2019 at 4:24 pm

    A time sheet, with the time started, time finished, and the total number of hours worked would be sufficient. I apologize for the tardy reply.

  • July 11, 2019 at 6:34 pm

    Say our 70,000 lb Vac Truck is driven from our yard 39 miles down the Hwy to the Job Site then parked. Two days later it is driven around the job site for an hour and a half then parked. The next day it is driven 10 miles down the hwy and dumped, driven back to the job site and parked. Three days later it is driven back to the yard and parked. The driver, who only has a CDL so he can legally drive this truck on the Hwy, is paid all of his working hours as an Electrician. Does he need to keep a daily log for the days he drove the truck? Will this truck be required to have an ELD? How will these questions be answered if the Job Site is say… 214 miles down the Hwy (within state lines)?

  • August 12, 2019 at 10:38 am

    Laura: sorry for the delayed response. I think I skipped your question, because it is difficult. You are exempted from ELDs if a driver is required to complete a logbook 8 days out of 30 days or less. The days in which the truck is parked at your yard would not require a log. The days the truck is parked at the jobsite would not require a log. On these days, your electrician CDL driver would record his time via time sheet, capturing the time started, time finished, and total number of hours. The days the truck moves from yard to jobsite, and vice-versa, would require a paper log, because the truck is not returning to the same work-reporting location that day. So, if your truck moves to and from a job site 4 times a month, that’s 8 days a month which would require a paper log. At nine (9) days, you need the ELD. It would be very close as to whether or not you need the ELD, depending on how often you use the truck, and how often it is moved from jobsite to jobsite. Hope that helps.

  • August 23, 2019 at 8:53 am


    I drive a company 3/4 ton pickup. It is rated at 9000 lbs. I only tow a trailer within the State of Texas on one or two occasions that exceed the 150 Air mile radius the combined weight of the two is less then 26000 lbs. I do have a MED Card. The rest of the time I am driving just the pickup. If I am staying within the state of TEXAS is it required to have a DOT Inspection?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *