Who has to fill out log books?

Posted on March 1, 2007 

Q. Who has to fill out log books?

A. If you drive beyond 100 air miles from your terminal, or work more than 12 hours in a shift, you do.  If you drive a non-CDL vehicle, there are numerous exceptions that apply to you, instead of the 100 air mile rule.

Eric Arnold is a Former Enforcement Agent with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and a leading expert on USDOT compliance for small businesses. Do you have a question for Eric Arnold? Email him at eric@arnoldsafety.com.

Arnold Safety simplifies D.O.T. Compliance for commercial vehicle operators. Get Eric Arnold’s USDOT Compliance Guide, DVD, & Regulations at ArnoldSafety.Com.

Learn more about Arnold Safety compliance consulting services at ArnoldSafety.Com



167 Responses to “Who has to fill out log books?”

  1. Bob on October 5th, 2007 9:20 am

    We are a flooring company that has one job beyond the 150 mile radius. We take a box truck there about every two to four weeks. Our warehouse guy drives it there. Does he have to maintain a log book for the weeks he is working in the warehouse (he sometimes drives a van or box van to deliever items locally). He is does not have a CDL. Does he need to be in a Random drug screening program? Also do we need to maintain DVIR’s and Maintenance records for DOT.

  2. Eric Arnold on October 5th, 2007 2:14 pm

    When in the warehouse, he does not need a logbook, but he does need to maintain time start, time finished, total number of hours that day, whether on a timeclock, or timesheet. No on the random drug testing, probably on the maintenance questions. Do you go across state lines? If you do, you need the DVIR’s and maintanence records.

  3. david on December 5th, 2007 9:58 pm

    i am retired..do volunteer stump grinding work….my pickup is at 6700..trailer is 3800…i am comerical know this….but i dont work anywhere..i drive from town ta town….get out my truck 6769087359068759036875069874567 times a day in towns…..how tha hell am i gonna log that in ma book????theres not enough room!!!!!!!!an why do i hav ta hav dot an all this crap i been havin ta buy?????i thinks its….bsssss………….thank u very much….an if i get 1 ticket….im gonna go home…sell my machine….take out my cds from bank….get on welfare with everbody else…..an let yall pay me…..ta not do chit!!!!!!!!!….got any input????

  4. Eric Arnold on December 6th, 2007 7:43 pm


    Volunteer stump grinding? The rules only apply if you are in business. If what you are doing is truly volunteer, and no money is changing hands, then the rules do not apply, and you do not need a DOT number. For example, if you rent a truck over 10,000 lbs. GVWR to move your furniture, the rules do not apply, as you are not in commerce; you are using the truck for your own, non-commercial use.

    As for the rest, as a hard-working American taxpayer, I’m already supporting over half of the people in this country, so if you want to hop on the freeloader bandwagon, knock yourself out, I’m sure I can afford to support one more.

  5. david on December 6th, 2007 11:08 pm

    i do…do volunteer work….ill tellum wut i would charge….if they give me moneys….its donations..do i still hav to hav dot then?…an whut can i get away with???….anything at all??….an i WONT eva be on walfare….dont worry

  6. david on December 6th, 2007 11:10 pm

    i also hav my truck lettered….stump grinding is on lenth of my truck an cell number??….heck i hav almost eva thang i need to be legal….sept weight rated tires..rate on tag..soon i get legal…..they will come up wif sumum else……..

  7. Eric Arnold on December 8th, 2007 4:32 pm

    Donations, huh? :-) Hmmm, I’ll have to ask my accountant about that. “Hey, IRS, that money in my bank account is from donations. Don’t worry, it’s all good.” No, I’d say you are probably in business, and subject to these DOT rules. I’m glad you won’t be on welfare, though. I just checked with the government, since I now have to bail out these sub-prime mortgage people, I won’t have enough left over to carry you as well. Sorry.

  8. andy on March 22nd, 2008 4:35 am

    Hi i do catv constructon and and my office is in pa but i work in differant places most of the time i work in one state for 6 months or better. My truck does not leave that state and i am under a 100 mile radius a day. Would i need to keep a log

  9. Eric Arnold on March 25th, 2008 2:37 pm


    If you are under 100 miles, you do not need to fill out a log if you record your time started, time finished, and your total number of hours that day, and you work 12 hours or less.

  10. Galen on June 19th, 2008 9:58 pm

    I truck pull for a hobby, this year i purchased a gooseneck trailer to pull behind my pickup truck to haul my pulling truck to the events, when loaded i weigh around 20,000, i drive to pulls in my home state minnesota and Wisconsin and sometimes illinois, there is money to be won at these events that hardly pays for the fuel to get there, What rules do i need to follow, log books, having the truck D.O.T inspected? i have heard from numerous people different things that i would have to do. also weighing 20,000 loaded do i need to go through the weigh staions along the highway? Id really like to know the truth on this so i don tget nailed on the side of the highway or something.

  11. Eric Arnold on June 19th, 2008 11:06 pm

    Yeah? Truck pulling? I used like watching that on ESPN late at night. That and Australian rules football, wish they’d bring that back. It would beat listening to Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon discussing Kobe Bryant’s greatness.

    Anyway, you need to comply with all of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, except drug and alcohol testing, because you are under 26,001 lbs. GVWR (I think, from your description). Do you have to stop at weigh stations? Depends on the state. Read the sign leading up to the scale. In Ohio, the signs say, “All Commerical Traffic over 5 tons”, so does Maryland. That means you. When in doubt, pull in. Want more information? May I suggest buying my DVD package, with it you get free phone consultations, not a bad deal, especially if it saves you a $500 ticket…..

  12. FRANK on June 20th, 2008 6:10 am


  13. Eric Arnold on June 26th, 2008 8:05 am

    Frank: yes, it appears the rules apply in Georgia for all vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more.

  14. Steve on February 13th, 2009 2:44 pm

    Please help ASAP. Big meeting on 2/18 and I need info by then. I work for a construction company.
    We drive trucks ranging from F150 to semi trucks and everything in between. We do operate in state and out of state at various jobsites.Can you put together a punch list of when I need to use a log book and when I don’t need to use a log book, depending on what I’m driving and where.Thanks for the help.

  15. Eric Arnold on February 16th, 2009 6:36 am

    Steve, yes I can.
    You need a logbook if you drive a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 and up. You need it if you work more than 12 hours a day, or go more than 100 air miles from the office. Otherwise, you can keep your time at the office in a time sheet fashion, recording the time started, time finished, and total time that day. There are other exceptions which apply, may I suggest my DVD package? With its purchase, you get total access to me, although the package itself probably answers all your questions. Or maybe you could get your employer to purchase, if there is confusion. Hope that helps.

  16. mike on September 14th, 2009 9:14 pm

    I drive a 1 ton duelly with a 28 foot gooseneck from each of our different jobsites. some are in different states. My question is after I pull the work trailer to that site, I usually stay there and work on site from 1week to sometimes 1 to 2 months then move on to another company site. I only pull that trailer that one time, do I have to fill out a log book only when I pull that trailer, or each day that I am on duty working on that site. Also I use that same truck to get me from my motel to jobsite. do I need to fill out each day of miles if I take that truck to and from work.

  17. Eric Arnold on September 17th, 2009 4:48 pm

    Mike: you definitely need to fill out the logbook when pulling the trailer. You probably need to fill it out all other times as well. The 1 ton is most likely over 10,001 lbs GVWR. The rules say that if you are in commerce, you are subject to the rules, ie, logbooks. If you are taking the truck from the motel to the restaurant or laundromat, then no, that would not be in commerce, and therefore, not require logbooks. However, if you are going from the motel to the jobsite, I would say yes, that is subject to the rules, especially if you are carrying some type of tools or equipment with you. Some DOT guys will tell you no way, that’s not subject, you don’t need a log, but some will tell you need a log. It also means your 14 hour clock starts when you leave the motel. Hope that helps.

  18. Glenn on September 22nd, 2009 3:07 am

    I work for a wrecker company that also has a heavy duty wrecker. We only use that a small amount of time and the rest we are operating under CDL limits so logbook, etc doesn’t apply. My question is: Since we don’t get to pick when someone is in a wreck and we may run non-CDL a few days for long or short hours and then on day 3 get a heavy duty call that goes 200 miles, would you only log that day you operate under CDL limits or do you have to log all? It is pretty hard to log time such as a time sheet since our hours vary wildly. Thanks and look forward to getting your dvd.

  19. Eric Arnold on September 22nd, 2009 3:54 pm

    Well, the hours of service rules apply whenever you are driving a vehicle subject to the rules. That is, 10,001 lb. GVWR across state lines, or 26,001 lbs. in some States, such as Texas. I’m taking a wild guess, you are from Texas? Anyway, if you are in Texas, the rules apply, starting at 26,001 lbs GVWR, so when driving that vehicle, you must comply with the 11, 14, and 70 hour rules. If you are going 200 miles from your office, you are going to need the previous 7 days of logs with you in the truck at that time, to prove to any inspecting DOT officer that you are not over your 70 hour limit. Also, you cannot log all the non-CDL days as “off-duty”. That’s on-duty time, and should be logged as such on Line 4.

    This means if you’re piling up 60-70 hours a week in small trucks, and then have to go to Louisiana to get an upside-down tractor trailer, you’re probably over the 70 hour limit. Hope that helps.

  20. Justin on December 9th, 2009 8:06 pm

    Hi I have a cdl I am currently working for a company going from pa to ny i dont drive a cdl truck do I have to fill out a log book

  21. Eric Arnold on December 16th, 2009 5:02 pm


    If you are driving more than 150 air miles from your terminal, you need a logbook.

  22. mike getter on February 24th, 2010 7:13 pm

    hello i work for a moving and storage company in texas.we have a strait truck licenced under 26001 pounds, and it it is a commercial vehicle, and a non cdl vehicle. do you need to run a logbook when driveing this truck? we drive atleas 90 miles one way everyday and sometimes further.

  23. Eric Arnold on March 1st, 2010 5:13 pm

    Mike: It is my understanding that non-CDL transportation wholly within the state of Texas is not regulated. In other words, if you do not take your non-CDL truck outside the state of Texas, and you are not hauling interstate freight, then you do not need a logbook. Hope that helps, thanks for stopping by.

  24. Shane on April 11th, 2010 12:10 am

    I am currently starting up a car hauling business. My authority is in the 21 day protest period. I have gotten my apportioned plate(s). My question is, I need to drive 800mi to pick up my newly built trailer. Do I need to log and stop at scales on the way there? Also, on the way back what do I need to do? The trailer is not going to have anything on it. Do I just put the USDOT decal on since authority is not active yet?. I have a 2 ton truck. Truck gvw is 19,500. Thanks

  25. mitch walch on April 11th, 2010 8:13 am

    got nailed for being under 21 and no log book. driving a chevy 3500 flatbed into WI from mn. I was just going to pick up a bin, it wasn’t a commercial trip, no one was making any money off of it. I told the officer that I wasn’t getting paid for that trip was just doing a favor. any help here? honestly i think the rules are bs because im 19 and own my own business have a f450 dump but cant even drive my own truck in other states.

  26. Eric Arnold on April 12th, 2010 9:02 am

    Shane: you need to fill out a logbook, and comply with all of the other safety regulations when going to get the trailer. You can just put the USDOT decal on… since you are not transporting for-hire (the trailer is yours), you don’t need the authority to make the trip. But you need to comply with the safety regulations.

  27. Eric Arnold on April 12th, 2010 9:08 am

    Mitch: No argument here. I can draft you into the military, I can make you fly halfway around the world and get you killed for the rest of the taxpayers, but you can’t drink, and you can’t drive your dumptruck across statelines until you’re 21. Maybe you should check out your local Tea Party. I’d say vote Republican, but generally they’re just as bad as the Democrats.

    Now to your question: the rules only apply if you are in commerce. It’s probably a 50/50 chance you’ll win. For example, if you were using your flatbed to transport 4 wheelers to ride for the weekend, boom, you’d win. Using the flatbed to transport a bin, which might be related to your business… maybe not so much. Depends how much the ticket was, if it was a lot, you might consider getting a lawyer, take a chance fighting it.

  28. Jerrid Clark on April 14th, 2010 2:42 pm

    I’m driving a 3/4 ton truck with a GVWR of 7800 lbs. I am a salesman that makes frequent stops during the day. Do I need to fill out a logbook? I do pull a trailer with a GVWR of 12,000 occassionally. We had a rough go with a DOT audit. I just wanted to make sure I am covering ourselves.

  29. Jerrid Clark on April 14th, 2010 2:43 pm

    I would like to know where to find it in the DOT book too…thx.

  30. Rui Angelo on April 18th, 2010 9:39 am


    I will have a friend with CDL driving my box truck, 30 000 GVW flat towing a car behind and inside the box I will have 2 cars. we are starting a cross country trip, from MA to CA, 5 or 6 days on the road. DO we need to use logbook ? I am not doing this as business, because the cars we bought here back east are for ourselves. (we live in CA, visiting family back here, in MA) tks a bunch.

  31. Tony on May 5th, 2010 9:57 am

    Do I need to fill out a log if I did not drive outside the 100 miles radius, clock in and out at work, but work over 12 hour.

  32. Eric Arnold on May 5th, 2010 10:41 am

    Jerrid: Sorry for not answering sooner, I’ve been busy. Hours of service is in Part 395 of the safety regulations. If your truck is pulling the trailer, you need to keep track of the time you start, the time you finish, and the total number of hours worked that day. It does not have to be a logbook, unless you are going more than 150 miles from your office.

  33. Eric Arnold on May 5th, 2010 10:42 am

    Jerrid: Also… if you have had a bad go of it in an audit, may I offer my services? Give me a call, I can probably help with the fine, and/or safety rating.

  34. Eric Arnold on May 5th, 2010 10:44 am

    Rui Angelo: If you are not in commerce, you do not need a logbook, a DOT number, a medical certicate…. you don’t need anything. Just as if you had rented a U-Haul truck and were moving your furniture.

  35. Eric Arnold on May 5th, 2010 10:45 am

    Tony: Maybe. How big is your truck? If it’s not a CDL truck, you don’t need the log, even though you worked over 12 hours. If it is a CDL truck, you do need the log.

  36. Judy on May 10th, 2010 12:34 pm

    Our company’s main office is in TX. I run the shop in LA. All my employees are on 24hr call. Our trucks are 3/4 w/9,600 GVW & 1 ton duellys w/11,001 GVW, licensed & insured in TX. We sometimes pull trailers up to 22ft, with 14,600lb GVW. When do we have to log?

  37. Eric Arnold on May 11th, 2010 11:46 am

    Judy: if you have a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, and you’re going more than 150 miles from the office, you have to log. So, if you drive one of your duallys to Austin, you need to log. If you couple one of your 3/4 ton trucks to a trailer, and drive to Austin, you need to log. Hope that helps, thanks for stopping by.

  38. Loretta on May 27th, 2010 8:52 am

    Hi, I drive for a small company and there is some debate here about when a new book needs to be started. We don’t drive out of state or over 150 moles often so my boss says that we can keep using the same log books month after month. I say that a new one must be started every month regardless of the amount of empty pages left from last months book. CAn you please explain the rule for when a new book should be started? Thanks

  39. Eric Arnold on May 27th, 2010 9:08 am

    Loretta: you can keep using the same book. I assume you are keeping your time on a time sheet, card or clock when you are within 150 miles, and logging when you go beyond 150 miles? Anyway, if you don’t use all of the 30 pages a logbook per month, you don’t need to buy another one, you can keep using the one you have.

  40. Mike on May 27th, 2010 5:54 pm

    I do have a cdl and abide to all of the rules and regulations,but have just one question. When I pull our tool trailer to one of our company facilities in another state,I take the duelly 350 home on weekends. I am off duty and off the clock, do I still fill out the logbook driving on duty.

  41. Gena on June 5th, 2010 4:27 pm

    I do not have a CDL license. I’m wondering what rules apply in the following situation. I’m needing to drive a non CDL box truck (under 26,001 gvw) from Oklahoma where we live to meet my husband in Missouri. Can I legally drive the truck without a CDL out of state, do I have to keep a log book, can I get a ticket or be put out of service, etc. Thanks for any help on this!

  42. Eric Arnold on June 7th, 2010 9:33 pm


    Yes you can drive a box truck under 26,000 lbs. without a CDL. You need a log book (I’m assuming this is going to be a trip of more than 150 miles, and that it is for business purposes). You should have a medical card, an annual inspection on the vehicle, and that’s off the top of my head, you might need some other stuff too. Hope that helps.

  43. ryan on June 29th, 2010 4:22 am

    Hello, I drive a non cdl box truck cross state lines at night, is a logbook really required? I’ve never been ask for my logbook by any state trooper

  44. ryan on June 29th, 2010 4:23 am

    in ”MA”

  45. Dan on July 1st, 2010 9:24 am

    Eric, We just puurchased a 18ft box truck with a GVW of 12,000 I have no idea what exactly we need for our driver to comply with Ohio laws. Odot # log book, medical card, weigh stations.we have a few guys that drive around town, but once or twice a month we go to Virginia, N.C. You know alot about the correct ways of doing things from what I have been reading. please help! thank you

  46. Eric Arnold on July 1st, 2010 9:43 am

    Dan: If you are hauling your own stuff, I believe your vehicle and its driver(s) are unregulated as long as they stay in Ohio… at least as far as the safety regulations go. If you go to Virginia, you are subject to all of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, except CDL and drug testing.

    If you want to know what that is, may I recommend purchasing my DVD product? 76 minutes of me talking, a copy of the rules, a copy of the forms to set up your driver file, a transcript of what I said on the DVD, and unlimited access to me on the phone if you don’t understand what was on the DVD. For the low price of $275. You can’t miss, and Arnold Safety fully supports the Ohio State Buckeyes (1990 alumnus) and the Cleveland Browns.

    Here’s the link: http://www.arnoldsafety.com/uscogudvre.html

  47. Eric Arnold on July 18th, 2010 12:37 pm

    Ryan: It doesn’t matter if you cross state lines, or not, if you stay within 150 miles of your office in your non-CDL truck, you don’t need a log.

  48. dave on September 24th, 2010 5:28 pm

    we have a non cdl rollback that we tow cars from wrecks and for our customers, do we need a log book? we do travel from pa to ny, the truck is reg. in pa. do we need a medical card too? we also have a chevy 3500hd that we tow with, do we need a log book with that too, please let me know, thank you

  49. Eric Arnold on September 29th, 2010 2:46 pm

    I’m assuming your vehicle has a GVWR of over 10,000 lbs? You need a medical card. If you travel more than 150 miles from your office, you need a logbook. Hope that helps.

  50. Rob on October 6th, 2010 7:57 pm

    I have a CDL. I hardly drive a CDL truck. Most of the time I work in a wharehouse. If needed I do drive A Cdl truck for the company. My question is How do I fill out a log book for the days I do not drive? Don’t you have to be able to show 7 previous days on your book?

  51. Eric Arnold on October 11th, 2010 5:09 pm

    Rob: If you drive more than 100 miles from the office, you need a log. An interpretation of the DOT hours of service rules says you do not need the previous 7 days with you, if you have them at your office. When I say have them, I mean, the time you started, the time you finished, and the number of hours you worked.

    If you want to be extra safe, and not have to possibly argue with a cop, I would just re-create them in your logbook, listing the time you spent working on Line 4 of each day.

  52. DB on November 2nd, 2010 2:34 pm

    I have just started a dump truck business and have been hired to go to a job site out of state. Do I have to have my own authority to cross several state lines and work at the job site moving dirt? the truck will transport the dirt on county roads within that state. or Do I just need to get IRP and IFTA? would I need ucr?

  53. Eric Arnold on November 9th, 2010 6:24 am

    DB: UCR: yes, IFTA: yes, IRP: Probably. Authority: Probably. Hope that helps.

  54. Kevin Owens on December 7th, 2010 2:05 pm

    I am a salesman for a trailer manufacturer. Once in a while I am required to take a trailer on the road to show prospective dealers our product in hope that they will want to sell our product lines. I do not transport trailers for commerce in state or out of state. What type of drivers license do I need if the company pick up truck I am using has a DOT number on the side?
    Thanks in advance for your recomendation.

  55. Eric Arnold on December 7th, 2010 5:21 pm

    You’re activity is in commerce. Sorry. You are transporting the trailer, in hopes of getting someone to buy a product. IE: money will change hands. That’s commerce. What kind of license do you need? If the gross vehicle weight rating of the pickup, combined with the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer exceeds 26,000 lbs., and the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer is more than 10,000 lbs., then you need a CDL A license. If not, you can operate the rig with a regular operators license. Hope that helps!

  56. jerry h on December 14th, 2010 6:47 pm

    Hey Eric
    I have a question about a log book for ca. When filling out the log book what would be your starting point once you reach the 100 mile radius, would it be the town you got to or where you left from.

  57. Eric Arnold on December 15th, 2010 6:30 pm

    Jerry: I’m not sure I understand. For the 100 air mile exception (which means you don’t fill out a log, you fill out a time card or time sheet instead), you would measure your 100 miles from your office or terminal. Not sure if I answered your question…..

  58. Texas trucker on March 19th, 2011 9:15 pm

    I am out of texas under 26000lbs, with an f250 and 25ft tandom axle gooseneck, I have a MC# and UsDOT, What are my requirements. I am for hire, hauling equipment, compressors and generators across state lines.

  59. Paul Gillette on March 24th, 2011 6:33 pm

    We have a small moving company and got our first truck over 10,000 but under 26,000 we do not go out of state or beyond a 100mi radius do we need to fill out log book. Also are there any particular records we need to keep?

  60. Paul Gillette on March 24th, 2011 6:34 pm

    upstate ny

  61. Dawb on May 9th, 2011 3:55 pm

    I am getting a little confused, I have guys driving over 150 miles to get to a new job, we are in the construction field, the tructs are F250 and F350, some have trailers, do they need to use a log book? Can the GPS that is on the trucks be used for documentation? I have insurance papers, MSC-90, Daily Driver Inspection Reports all in the trucks, what am I missing, need help!

  62. Eric Arnold on May 10th, 2011 10:16 am

    If they are driving over 150 miles, then they need the logbook. No, you can’t use the GPS in place of the logbook, unless you purchase very specialized software, which you probably do not have. Your drivers need medicals. You also need annual inspections on the trucks and trailers, if you’re going across state lines. These are some of the requirements.

  63. Billy Smith Jr on May 20th, 2011 4:14 pm

    I drive for a state unversity here in Tennessee I have a cdl we do some out of town travel do I need to keep a log book i ask some people here and they say we are exempt from certain laws I need to know the truth to keep myself out of trouble

  64. Eric Arnold on May 20th, 2011 4:22 pm

    How big is your truck? How far from your office do you go?

  65. mike on May 22nd, 2011 10:20 am

    When I am driving from home to the hotel on Sunday and it is over 150 miles do I nee to fil out log book for that day driving on duty. I’m not working that day.

  66. Eric Arnold on May 22nd, 2011 1:50 pm

    If you are driving in a truck with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more from home to the hotel…. you’d better have a logbook. That probably is not off-duty time, so it should be logged.

  67. Diane on May 25th, 2011 3:35 pm

    I have a trailer and a skid steer that I pull with a company truck I own. Do I have to have a log book for my trailer? I’m from the state of Wisconsin. I would appreciate any help.

  68. Eric Arnold on June 7th, 2011 7:15 am

    If you are going more than 100 miles from your office in Wisconsin, you probably need a logbook. How big is the truck? How big is the trailer? Where do you go? All necessary questions.

  69. Nick on August 11th, 2011 4:45 pm


    We have a US DOT number. Our Trucks and Trailers DO NOT require the driver to have CDL’s, the GVWR of the truck is 25,000 exactly and trailer is 9,990. Since we do not have to have CDL’s to drive our vehicles, but we do operate CMV’s and have a US DOT number, do we still need to fill out log books and be bound by HOS rules?

  70. Eric Arnold on August 17th, 2011 11:22 am

    Nick: Yes, you do. All rules apply (with the exception of CDL licensing and drug testing) apply at 10,001 lbs. GVWR, so you are well over that.

  71. Jeremy Walker on November 1st, 2011 10:34 am

    I manage a flooring company that travels from florida to kentucky. We transport our equipment & materials to and from the jobsite. I have 3 box trucks with GVW of 11,400 and 8 vans with gvw of 8,400. The employees drive different vehicles each week. Are they requirred to complete a log book no matter what they drive and do they have to fill out a log book if they travel around town and not out of town?

  72. Eric Arnold on November 2nd, 2011 7:19 am


    The box trucks have to log when going to Kentucky, but not when driving around town. The vans never have to log. Hope that helps. E. Arnold

  73. milhouse on January 30th, 2012 11:19 am

    We operate a fleet of ford f350 duallys. We are non placarded and non cdl. We haul 275 gal. totes of water treatment chemicals and never exceed the weight limits of the trucks. we occasionally haul trailers, small and large, hitch only and do 90% of our work in PA. Do we need to keep logbooks and have the GVW on our vehicles? A DOT rep stopped one of our guys and gave him a rough time. Our insurance does not indicate we need this and my boss is fairly sure they were not totally correct. Can you help me out here?

  74. Eric Arnold on February 6th, 2012 6:58 am

    If you cross state lines, the weight limit is 10001 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Anything over that needs a logbook. If you stay wholly within PA, the limit is 17000 lbs. anything over that needs a logbook. You have to take the GVWR of the truck and add it to whatever the GVWR is of the trailer. If you want a more detailed answer, call me, hope that helps.

  75. margot on February 21st, 2012 5:46 pm

    Why did I get a ticket for Duty Status not current? My pickup weighs 8700lbs and is rated at 9600 lbs and I was pulling a an empty trailer that weighs 7000 lbs and rated at 9000 lbs. The pickup is owned by me, but the trailer is owned by my company. I drive only in Texas (but my company is an interstate carrier) must I log? is it the combination of the two vehicles (truck and trailer that put me over and into a commerical status? This is confusing. There are alot of pickup’s out htere pulling railers for hire and they don’t have to log, why do I?

  76. Eric Arnold on February 28th, 2012 10:48 am

    Well, I’m not sure. I was pretty sure that vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Limit under 26,000 lbs. were not subject to the rules in Texas. If you cross state lines, then the limit is 10,001 lbs., and you would need a log. Did you pick up the empty trailer somewhere outside of Texas?

  77. Eric F. on February 29th, 2012 3:42 pm

    I drive for a private company contracted to the federal gov. transporting inmates. I drive a 12 passenger van. Others in my company may drive busses sometimes. We are all within 100 air miles at all times. All times are logged from depart to arrival and back to home station. My question is can my company make us fill out the DOT log book? If so, If filled out incorrect can we still get a ticket even if we fall under the exception?

  78. james on March 11th, 2012 10:14 pm

    So what you are saying is if i haul gravel local under 100 miles in a tractor trailer then im ok and keep track of hours, would that have to be with me.

  79. Eric Arnold on March 12th, 2012 2:17 pm

    Yes, they can make you fill out the logbook, even though you might qualify for the exemption. Just like they can make you wear a uniform, or some other company policy. And yes, you can get a ticket if the logbook is not filled out correctly.

  80. Eric Arnold on March 12th, 2012 2:22 pm

    No, you don’t have to keep it with you. It can be back in the office. Time start, time finished, total number of hours. Must be 12 hours or less.

  81. Jeff on March 29th, 2012 5:46 pm

    I work for a company in Louisiana where I work an eight hour day and drive a international truck with a 45 foot flat trailer the maximum distance of about 30 to 40 miles one way. Three to four times a month I go to Texas, my question is when do I need to fill out my log book.

  82. Eric Arnold on April 3rd, 2012 10:30 am

    No, you most likely do not need a log. As long as you are back within 12 hours, you can record your start time, finish time, and total number of hours worked on a time sheet, which you can keep at the office. You can do that as long as you stay within 100 air miles of the office, and are back within 12 hours. Hope that helps.

  83. Shawn on May 2nd, 2012 3:57 pm

    My wife and I compete in rodeo’s through out the western half of the US. (Greater than 100 miles from home) The rig we drive is a F-450 and a 31′ living quarters trailer that contains a RV area, horse compartment, and lots of storage. We are not commercially transporting horses, claim the rodeo as a “hobby” on our taxes, etc. We ran this accross a scale one time and the complete rig grossed at 32,000 lbs. Couple of questions – Do we need Class A license? Do we need to log keep logs if required to get a “non-commercial” Class A? If we place sponsorship stickers on the trailer does anything change (still a hobby, just spreading the loss!)

    Thanks Eric,

  84. Eric Arnold on May 13th, 2012 9:57 am

    Shawn: I apologize for the late reply. The safety regulations, including the CDL regulations apply to commercial activity. For example, I can drive an RV the size of an aircraft carrier, and I am unregulated. I can do it with an operator’s license in many States. However, if I am in business, or otherwise conducting a commerical activity, then I am regulated and must comply with all the safety regulations. In your case, I would say you are probably unregulated, as it’s a hobby. However, if you start obtaining sponsorships, then you’re starting to get into commercial activity. Who knows, if you get good enough at it, and get enough sponsorships, you might actually be making money. Of course at that point, you would be regulated, as it would be a commercial activity. I hope that helps.

  85. Brandon on July 8th, 2012 5:11 pm

    Eric, I am a Matco Tools dealer in Arizona. I recently got ticketed for crossing state lines into california and not having a log book. Iit is under 100 miles. I only drive a few miles into cali to do business and then im back in Az. Do i really need the log book or was i ticketed by someone on a power trip. The truck is non cdl. Its a Gmc 5500 kodiak. Registered for 26000 and weighs in at 19500. Thank you for your time in advance.

  86. Eric Arnold on July 9th, 2012 5:22 am

    You do not need a logbook. You were ticketed by someone who either 1) does not know the rules, or 2) is on a powertrip. Or 3) both.

  87. Justin on July 23rd, 2012 6:57 pm

    I have a Class A CDL. My company has Dodge 2500 pick up trucks. I go out of town a lot. When I am not driving a class a or b. I still log hours of service. Now my question is if I am 15 hour drive away from home can i get by without logging if i am driving the pickup truck. It does have DOT numbers and I do pull into scale house because it is a CMV. I am assuming the 11 and 14 hour rule would still apply due to the fact it is a cmv and i am a driver?

  88. Eric Arnold on July 30th, 2012 9:08 pm

    The Dodge 2500 is a CMV? What is the gross vehicle weight rating? If it is 10,000 lbs. or less, it is unregulated, and you would not be subject to any of the rules while driving it. Not sure if that helps or not.

  89. Cory on May 9th, 2013 8:22 pm

    The company I work for does most of our business out of state. We drive Chevy 3500 duallies and tow trailers that are less than 10,000lbs. Our trucks are dot registered and are registered as “not for hire”, none of us have our CDL, do we need to fill out log books? This is an ongoing argument between us and a friendly competitor, your help would be appreciated.

  90. Carlos on May 29th, 2013 7:25 pm

    Hi my name is Carlos. I drive a 26ft Bobtail registered at under 26,000 GVW and am not required to have a CDL to work/drive just a DOT physical and carry my medical card. However I am wondering about the log books. Some days we are local but on other days we range 400 to 500 miles in a day, we manage to stay at under 12 hours and do cross state lines. We are based out of Dallas Tx and go into Louisiana and Oklahoma. Are we required to fill out log books?

  91. Eric Arnold on May 30th, 2013 7:20 am

    When you cross state lines, yes. Within Texas, if you are under 26,000 lbs., I believe you are exempt.

  92. Eric Arnold on May 30th, 2013 7:21 am

    Yes, you have to fill out logbooks. It sounds like you are going further than 150 miles, which makes you subject to logbooks.

  93. Mark Schaefer-Wicke on May 30th, 2013 12:33 pm

    I work for an industrial cleaning company in WI where we hydro blast and high power vacuum at different manufacturing facilities around our region. We use HD pickups to pull our twin axle blast trailers which do not require a cdl or logging. We do drive class b vacuum trucks with lightweight equipment trailers. Many times our Cdl drivers are at different sites with different equipment and hours. All played time is done on paper by job tickets. Do our CSL drivers need to keep a daily log?

  94. Eric Arnold on May 30th, 2013 12:46 pm

    If you drive more than 150 miles from your yard, they need to fill out a log. Probably. If you stay wholly within Wisconsin, you would be subject to Wisconsin rules. They are probably the same as the Federal rules, but it’s possible they are not. Texas for example, exempts non-CDL vehicles from the safety rules, as long as the stay wholly within Texas. I am not sure what the Wisconsin rules are.

  95. Gerald on June 2nd, 2013 5:57 pm

    Ford f350 gvwr 9900 pounds. Getting dot and mc number to haul boats and trailers. When I have a trailer on I would keep a log book because I am crossing state lines. When I am empty with no trailer and I have my dot number on there do I still need log book and stop at scales since there is no trailer attached? Because sometimes I will drop a trailer then drive home it could be lets say 1200 miles back to home.

  96. Eric Arnold on June 9th, 2013 9:38 pm

    Yes, you would keep a logbook, because with the trailer, the rig is over 10,001 lbs. GWVR, and you are going over 150 miles from your office. Without the trailer, you would not be subject to the rules, since the GVWR is under 10,001 lbs. That means no logbook without the trailer.

  97. george on June 24th, 2013 10:35 pm

    Hi im a diesel mechanic and sometimes i test drive a tractor bobtail less than 20 miles do i need to have a log book?

  98. george on June 24th, 2013 10:37 pm

    Hi im a diesel mechanic in texas and sometimes i test drive a tractor bobtail less than 20 miles do i need to have a log book?

  99. Eric Arnold on June 25th, 2013 7:25 am

    No, as long as you have a record (like a time sheet or time card), which shows the time you started work, the time you finished work, and the total number of hours you worked….. which must be 12 or less. Hope that helps.

  100. Heather on July 24th, 2013 10:37 am

    We just had one of our technicians receive a ticket for no log book. We are in California, drive F450 – F550 with GVW over 10,000 however it is only a two axle. VC 3450034520 states “the department shall regulate the safe operation of the following vehicles: (a) Motortrucks of three or more axles that are more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating.” How then do we have to have a log book?

  101. aaron on August 5th, 2013 9:38 am

    I live in NJ and have a chevy 3500 and 2 car trailer . Just getting into car hauling and wanted to know if logbook is needed and do I have to stop at weight scale if hauling to GA? Thanks

  102. josh on August 5th, 2013 8:14 pm

    Do I have to run a logbook if I cross state lines even if I’m within the 100 miles?

  103. KHoover on August 20th, 2013 1:37 pm

    I have a question… First, we are vehicles that do not have to have a TX DOT number due to being under 10,000 lbs. So my question is we are going to start doing some work in NM and I am wondering on the log book for the US DOT and crossing of state lines do those guys have to log all of the local work or just the work that will be across state lines?

  104. Eric Arnold on August 20th, 2013 1:42 pm

    Logbook: Yes.
    Scales: Probably. Each state is different, you just have to read the signs prior to the scale. If they say, all commercial traffic, or all commercial traffic 5 tons and up, then that’s you.

  105. Eric Arnold on August 20th, 2013 1:43 pm

    The limit to be subject to the rules when crossing state lines is 10,001 lbs. GVWR. So, if you are under that, you don’t need logs, or otherwise comply with the safety rules.

  106. Eric Arnold on August 20th, 2013 1:44 pm

    No. Unless you are not back to the yard within 12 hours. Then you need a logbook. Otherwise you can keep your time on a time sheet, showing the time you started, the time you finished, and the total number of hours you worked that day.

  107. Larry on August 23rd, 2013 1:31 pm

    Hello Eric my business is in Washington state. I have 3 one ton trucks 12200 lbs gvw I haul trailers of 7000 lbs gvw. This puts me over the 16000 lbs . I got my dot numbers, I stay within 100 air miles. Do I need to fill out logs, record milage, record fuel receipts, vehicle maintainable logs,

  108. mike c. on September 7th, 2013 9:15 am

    I am going to start driving 2500 series truck rated 10,000 lbs.gvwr. I will be pulling a 24 ft. gooseneck trailer rated 14,000 lbs. will I have to go across dot scales and keep logbook. company has dot number, not for hire, do I need to use the magnetic placard on truck.

  109. Eric Arnold on September 9th, 2013 9:11 am

    If you go more than 150 miles from the office, you need a logbook. Otherwise, you need to keep your time on a time sheet, recording the time you start, time you finish, and the total number of hours worked that day. As far as the scales, each state is different, so you have to read the signs before you get to the scale. For example, if it says “All commercial traffic”, that’s you. Or if it says all vehicles 13T or more, that’s not you. The vehicle must be marked with the USDOT number if you are crossing state lines, hope this helps.

  110. Eric Arnold on September 9th, 2013 9:13 am

    You do not need logs, but you must record the time started, time finished, and total number of hours for your drivers on a time sheet, or have them punch a time clock. You also need complete maintenance records on the vehicles, including the trailers.

  111. Russ on December 7th, 2013 12:17 pm

    I have a couple questions…I recently acquired a 1942 dump truck with a GVWR of 13500 lbs. Is it exempt from any U.S.dot regulations or registration? I am in Arizona. I plan to use it locally in my small town only. I also am purchasing a small 1 ton dump truck with a GVWR of apprx: 12000. What do I need to do to comply? A friend and DPS officer tells me things which seem to conflict with what I read online such as …”I don’t have to worry because I’m under 18001 lbs”. I read nothing about 18001 lbs. What does ADOT look for at portable scales? what safety equipment is required? Is there a book in print that I could purchase? Thanks!!

  112. Larry Dilworth on January 1st, 2014 8:40 pm

    I am wondering if I need to maintain log book for dump trucks for safety audit I don’t go over 100 miles but I live in north Alabama and go in to Tennessee. do you know of a good program to help with records and the safety audits Thanks Larry

  113. Roman on January 8th, 2014 12:31 am

    Hello, I have Sprinter Van 2500 under 10000 gvwr, and I have CDL, I’m trucking for hire 48 states, do I have to have logbook? Thanks you.

  114. Roman on January 8th, 2014 12:37 am

    Thank you*

  115. Eric Arnold on January 10th, 2014 8:48 am

    1942 dump truck? Huh, sounds like something I would see on American Pickers or something. Anyway, if you stay wholly within Arizona, you are subject to the Arizona rules, not the Federal rules. The Federal rules are 10,001 lbs. and up. Some States have more lenient standards. In Pennsylvania, the non-for-hire standard is 17,001 lbs. I do not know what the Arizona limit is. Sounds like it might be 18,001 lbs. I would check with the Arizona DPS, or ADOT, or whatever, that will tell you if your dump truck is subject to the rules or not.

  116. Eric Arnold on January 10th, 2014 8:49 am

    If you stay within 100 miles, you can keep your time on a time sheet, capturing the time started, time finished, and total number of hours worked each day. You do not need a logbook, as long as each driver has time start, time finished, and total hours for each day. It doesn’t matter that you go into Tennessee.

  117. Eric Arnold on January 10th, 2014 8:50 am

    No, you are under the limit of 10,001 lbs. GVWR, so you are not subject to the rules.

  118. Henry Nelson on February 6th, 2014 1:44 pm

    We are a construction company w/ office in Ga. I have a crew in Florida w/ Chevy Kodiak 4500’s. Usually the driver goes from hotel to job site and back to hotel after working on job site for 12 hours average. Does the driver have to log on duty each day? Or only have to log when moving to another job site in Fl. thats more than 150 miles?

  119. Eric Arnold on February 19th, 2014 4:26 pm

    Well, I am going to assume the crew in Florida is beyond the 150 air miles? I would say at that point, they should be filling out a log every day because the truck has a GVWR of over 10,001 lbs., and they are beyond the 150 air miles. Hope that helps.

  120. Darrell on April 16th, 2014 1:57 pm

    Hello I just got into trucking and drive 26ft box gross @ 25900. Do I need a log book diving 75miles up and back from terminal and do I need to stop at weight stations? In MD

  121. Eric Arnold on April 23rd, 2014 10:03 am

    If you stay within 150 miles of your terminal, you do not need a logbook, but you need to record your time on a time sheet, with the time started, time finished, and total number of hours. Not sure, I think you do need to stop at weigh stations in Maryland.

  122. steve on April 30th, 2014 1:47 pm

    in the State of Washington I have a semi for private use, non commercial, not for hire, I am being told under WA laws I don’t need a CDL ??? is this true??

  123. Neal Avary on May 14th, 2014 2:41 pm

    Can you tell me when I need to run signs on my 3/4 ton truck pulling a 30 ft gooseneck trailer for commerce in the state of Texas?

  124. Eric Arnold on May 16th, 2014 10:48 am

    No, not really. It goes by the GVWRs of the vehicles. In Texas, I believe the rules only apply if the combination is 26,001 lbs. or over. So, if your 3/4 ton, pulling the gooseneck is over 26,001 lbs., you would need the signs. But I don’t know the GVWRs of your vehicles. Just add them together, if it is over 26, then you need it. Or if the GCWR on the truck is over, then you need it.

  125. Eric Arnold on May 16th, 2014 10:51 am

    Yes, probably. CDL stands for “commercial driver’s license”. So, if you are not in commerce, then the CDL does not apply. Strange, isn’t it? I can drive a giant RV the size of the Titanic, and do it with an operator’s license. The same principle applies.

  126. Patrick Drane on May 29th, 2014 2:43 pm

    I have a driver with a class b license driving a large bucket truck for maybe 2-3 hrs a week within a 30 mile radius, does he need to have a log book? If so, can it be something that we put together on our own or is there an official log book available? Thanks in advance!

  127. Patrick Drane on May 29th, 2014 2:44 pm

    I forgot to add that we are in Florida.

  128. Eric Arnold on June 16th, 2014 9:10 am

    If your driver stays within 100 air miles of the office, and his tour of duty is 12 hours or less, you can keep track of his time on a time sheet, or time card. You must have the time he started, time he finished, and the total number of hours he worked that day. If you go beyond the 100 air miles, or work more than 12 hours that day, you have to fill out a logbook. The logbook is an official document: you can get them at truckstops, or buy them from JJ Keller.

  129. Patti on June 27th, 2014 8:29 am

    We are a Water Well Drilling company in Michigan. We go all over the state (lower Michigan only), when we are going out of the 100 mile radius are we required to fill out a log book? Our drilling rigs do drive down the highway but are considered a construction vehicle and are not plated and are regirstered with MDEQ, the water truck we use is a plated vehicle. Our drivers leave from our office in the morning and return everday, the max. hours in a day they get usually is 11 – 13 hours a day (M – F). I heard that water well drilling companies are exempt from this, is this true?

  130. damon beckett on July 13th, 2014 12:24 pm

    I deliver vehicles for a dealership. At times I drive box vans (empty) to Portland and Phoenix. Am I required to have a log book and DOT permits. Primarily I deliver or dealer trade cars within 150 miles and on occasion more than 150 miles.

  131. Eric Arnold on July 28th, 2014 7:03 am

    Log book = yes…. at least when going out over the road. When staying within the 150 air miles, you can keep your time on a time sheet, time started, time finished, total number of hours that day.

  132. Eric Arnold on July 28th, 2014 7:16 am

    Patti: yes, you need a logbook when going beyond the 100 air miles. Also, even though your drilling rigs are not plated, they are still subject to the safety rules. The driver must be qualified, have a logbook, and the vehicle must be inspected. DOT exempts off-road motorized equipment from the rules, but they define that as backhoes, bulldozers, etc., not equipment which can run at 45-50 mph on the road.

    As for the hours exemption, ground water well companies can restart their 70 hour clocks with a 24 hour off-duty period, instead of a 34 hour period.

  133. daniel douglass on August 1st, 2014 6:53 am

    MY MC NUMBER is in ga but am working in NJ which i have a job going less that a 100 miles a day radius
    which is terminal to terminal do can i use a timesheet instead of log book

  134. roger castro on August 5th, 2014 7:51 pm

    Hello I have two questions one do you need a class a cdl to drive a 2002 international bucket truck??? And do I have to keep paperlogs on me please respond A.S.A.P thanks

  135. Rob S on August 8th, 2014 8:11 pm

    I move tractors for a truck sales company on a dealer plate. No signage or ifta and only bobtail. do i need to use a log book?

  136. willie Yoast on August 14th, 2014 8:15 am

    If we have DOT stickers on our vehicles and are under the weight of 10,001 lbs…are we still bound by the HOS laws pertaining to working and driving more than 14hrs in a day and 70hrs in a rolling 8 day week?

  137. Eric Arnold on August 26th, 2014 1:38 pm

    Whether or not you are subject to the rules goes by the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of your vehicle. This is a value on a metal plate inside the door. If it is 10,000 lbs. or under, you are unregulated. So, that being said, if you are in an under-10,000 lbs. GVWR vehicle (3/4 pickup, for example), even if there is a USDOT number on the door, it is unregulated, and the hours of service rules do not apply.

  138. Eric Arnold on September 15th, 2014 8:44 am

    Sorry, I missed this comment. Anyway, if your normal work reporting location is NJ, you can use the NJ terminal address as the base in calculating the 100 air mile radius. So, if you stay within 100 air miles of the NJ terminal, and are back within 12 hours, you can use the timesheet.

  139. Eric Arnold on September 15th, 2014 8:54 am

    I don’t know, what’s the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating? If the GVWR is 26,001 lbs. or more, you need a CDL. On the logs, again, I don’t know, where do you go? Beyond 100 miles from your office?

  140. Eric Arnold on September 15th, 2014 8:57 am

    Sorry, I missed this comment. You are subject to the rules, as you are moving a CMV in commerce, even though there’s no signage. If you are moving the tractors more than 100 miles from your office, yes, you would need a logbook.

  141. Ellie Hayes on September 15th, 2014 7:10 pm

    Hi. There has been some disagreements in the company I work for about crossing state lines. We have a three quarter ton dually four door pickup truck fully loaded with welding equipment. Occasionally we are required to cross into Louisiana to do work. Not hauling a trailer. Does this truck need to have DOT numbers on it and driver keep a log??

  142. Ellie Hayes on September 15th, 2014 7:47 pm

    I need to make a correction to my first question. The truck is a One ton Four door Dually fully loaded with welding machinery.

  143. George Louth on September 17th, 2014 4:15 pm

    Hey. Have a part time job that occasionally delivers new wreckets. Max size is a Ford F 550 with gvwr of 19500. What requirments do I need to follow. Some trips are out of state (GA). The job is for the selling dealer. Thank you.

  144. Frank on September 17th, 2014 9:22 pm

    Hi I’m driving one time only a rental truck Ryder 20-26 footer with nine skids from Tonawanda NY to Louisville KY do I need a log book and do i need to stop at scale non commercial but small company? I’m a driver from Canada renting a truck in NY state.

  145. arnold jalandoon on September 26th, 2014 1:30 am

    Hi.. I have a couple questions.. I am starting a moving company locally in california. Im thinking about going interstate and travel all around california. I actually still rent my trucks with budget and oenske that display usdot numbers.. What authoritys do i need to get my moving company to be legit? Thanks

  146. Eric Arnold on October 1st, 2014 8:18 am

    What is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the 3/4 ton truck? This is a number assigned by the manufacturer, found on a plate inside the door jamb. If it is 10,000 lbs. or less, no it doesn’t need a DOT number of log. If it’s 10,001 lbs. or more, it does. If it pulls a trailer, you have to add the trailer’s GVWR to that of the truck. 10,001 lbs. is the magic number.

  147. Eric Arnold on October 1st, 2014 8:18 am

    A one ton truck often has a GVWR in excess of 10,000 lbs., especially is it’s a dually. You should check anyways.

  148. Eric Arnold on October 1st, 2014 8:27 am

    George: you need to follow all requirements found in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs), except for drug testing and CDL. If you or your employer want to know what that all covers, please call me at (610) 582-4356, however, I am going to charge for my time on that one. Sorry, but explaining all the requirements is not something I can do in 3 minutes.

  149. Eric Arnold on October 1st, 2014 8:30 am

    Each state is different. Some states want all commercial traffic to enter the scales, which would be you. Some only want CDL vehicles (13 tons or more). First you should find out what’s the GVWR of that truck, so you know if you need a CDL. You could contact the State Police of each state you will going through, or you could just play it safe and pull in.

  150. Eric Arnold on October 1st, 2014 8:35 am

    Arnold: this is a pretty open-ended question, so if you want the whole thing explained, I can do it, but I charge for my time. Call me at (610) 582-4356. One free piece of advice: make sure you have operating authority from the FMCSA, and a USDOT number before you start going out of California. If they catch you without Federal operating authority, it’s a minimum $25,000 fine, no kidding. And they make you pay it all, too, because that’s the statutory minimum assigned by Congress. So, get operating authority.

  151. Tersesa on October 3rd, 2014 1:33 pm

    Im in the state of Florida, hauling US Mail. My question is on the 100 or 150 air mile radius, for my local drivers. GVWR>26,000 lbs – Operate within 100 air mile radius vs GVWR<26,001 lbs within 150 Air mile radius is my understanding. My tractors are 26,0001 lbs. Is Florida different?

  152. Eric Arnold on October 6th, 2014 6:24 pm

    I’m not sure I understand the question. CDL vehicles get a logbook exemption within 100 air miles. Non-CDL vehicles get a logbook exemption within 150 air miles. You have a CDL vehicle… 26,001 lbs. is a CDL vehicle. I am not sure what the Florida rules are, but for your purposes it doesn’t matter. You haul mail, which is always considered “interstate” commerce, even though your trucks may never leave the state of Florida. You must always follow the Federal rules.

  153. Clair shirk on December 16th, 2014 11:02 pm

    I recently got busted for not having log book driving in Maryland going back to pa with my commercial 3500 one ton pulling 10,000 lbs trailer with my construction equipment. I was within 150 air miles but still got citation because we stayed overnight according to officer. Is this worth fighting? Thanks

  154. Eric Arnold on December 23rd, 2014 10:09 am

    Well, if you stayed overnight, you don’t get the exception. So, no, the cop is right, not worth fighting.

  155. Wesley Green on December 30th, 2014 8:44 am

    Can any worker get behind the wheel of a 3/4 ton dually and drive if he only has a class c license. The dually has Dot numbers. The drivers not pulling a trailer but is making a trip over 100 miles

  156. David on December 30th, 2014 6:42 pm

    Hey, Eric. I appreciate your help.

    To the point …

    My residence is in Melbourne, FL. I possess a FL Class A CDL (earned 9/2014). I got lucky and just got hired by an Asphalt Company that I found on Craigslist which travels the country. They are licensed in New Hampshire. The owner also has a 2nd/Winter house in Daytona Beach. He has equipment in New Hampshire (Business), Daytona Beach (House), AND Melbourne, FL (Storage Lot) as well.

    I will start working for them in the Melbourne, FL area where they have equipment stored. We will always work less than 12 hrs/day. Is Melbourne considered a ‘TERMINAL’ or ‘HOME’ since that’s where we are PULLING equipment from to work?

    Also, if we were to LEAVE Melbourne, FL area past 100 miles … I assume that I would have to document the drive. And if I had to for that ONE DAY … do I have to show at least 1 week before of absent driving since I didn’t drive?

    Also, if we were to start work in Miami which is 250 miles away from Melbourne, FL, and we worked there for a month or so without leaving and going past 100 miles, … do I NOT have to do the log since the ‘TERMINAL’ or ‘TEMP HOMEBASE’ would then be Miami?

    From my assumption. If we temporarily move to a new location (hotel) for short-term work, then that would be the the new ‘TERMINAL’…

    I apologize for my ignorance but hope to do well.

    Thanks a bunch,


  157. Paris on January 8th, 2015 8:55 pm

    If my company is contracted to haul mail is it a requirement for drivers to have a DOT physical? I know you mentioned in the post above that hauling mail is always considered an “interstate” commerce. What exactly does that entails if the vehicle in which the mail is transported is less than 10.001 GVWR?

  158. Eric Arnold on January 13th, 2015 10:53 am

    If the vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,001 lbs. or more, the driver must have a medical card, be keeping track of his hours, have a DOT employment application, among other things. If the vehicle is under 10,001 lbs. GVWR, generally speaking, anyone can drive it, as it is unregulated. Most 3/4 ton pickups are right at the 10,000 GVWR limit. Some are over, some are under. The GVWR is found on a metal plate inside the door.

  159. Eric Arnold on January 13th, 2015 11:02 am

    If the pickup has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,001 lbs. or more, the driver needs to be qualified (assuming this is a trip across state lines), which means a medical, DOT employment application, among other things. If the vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or under, it is basically unregulated, meaning anyone can drive it. 3/4 pickups are right at the line, some are under 10,000 lbs., some are over. The GVWR is found on a metal tag inside the door.

  160. Eric Arnold on January 13th, 2015 11:09 am

    David, I generally answer questions for free (my tip jar idea has been a big bust), however, you have asked way too many questions. Sorry. The best advice I can give you is pay attention to what your foreman and supervisors tell you, and keep a logbook when you are running over the road (more than 100 miles from your terminal).

  161. Eric Arnold on January 13th, 2015 11:12 am

    If the vehicle has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs, and hauls mail YES on the medical. If under 10,001 lbs., NO on the medical.

  162. Christy on January 16th, 2015 4:52 pm

    Hi, Can you please tell me if I understand this…Work vehicles under 10,000lbs are exempt from DOT numbers and log books.(unless hauling a trailer) Work vehicles 10,001 + lbs-26,001 need DOT numbers but only need to keep a log book if over 150 air miles from base. 26,001+ lbs. vehicles need DOT but only need to keep a log book if over 100 miles from base. If no log is required, a time sheet will work?

    Thank you!

  163. Eric Arnold on January 22nd, 2015 1:49 pm

    Work vehicles under 10,000lbs are exempt from DOT numbers and log books.(unless hauling a trailer) YES.
    Work vehicles 10,001 + lbs-26,001 need DOT numbers but only need to keep a log book if over 150 air miles from base. YES.
    26,001+ lbs. vehicles need DOT but only need to keep a log book if over 100 miles from base. If no log is required, a time sheet will work? YES, a time sheet will work, as long as it has the time started, time finished, and the total number of hours worked that day. Also, you can only use the time sheet if the driver is back within 12 hours.

  164. Donna on February 3rd, 2015 11:35 am

    Can you tell me where I can go to see regulations for non dot and get samples of how logs should be filled out

  165. nelly on February 22nd, 2015 8:06 pm

    Hi,I have permit-mc authority as a contract carrier of property(exept houshold goods),but I just have driver calling me, and asking,if is possible for him to drive just in Florida which we are based of.I don’t know,if we are able to do intrastate loads.do I need authority for it?Thank you

  166. Eric Arnold on February 26th, 2015 6:52 pm

    Non-DOT? I am unsure what you mean by regs for non-DOT. Sorry. FMCSA’s website has many good logbook examples, as to the 11, 14, 30, and 70 hour rules. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov, and search around for “logbook examples”.

  167. Eric Arnold on February 26th, 2015 7:17 pm

    I actually do not know. I guess you would probably need to talk to FHP, or some other Florida office (Department of Revenue?) to find out if there is some kind of Florida permission you need to haul for-hire within the State. Sorry I could not help more.

Leave a Reply


  • For more information on Arnold Safety Consulting, contact us at:
    Arnold Safety Consulting
    117 Tudor Lane
    Birdsboro, PA
    Phone: (610) 582-4356
    FAX: (610) 404-0426
    Email: eric@arnoldsafety.com
  • Meta